Friday, April 28, 2006

Time Flies...

It is a common question that is asked. It takes different forms, about discipline, routines, a room of one's own. It takes time to write, and that time has to be carved out of the day somewhere.

I'm not an expert on managing time. Better minds have thought more deeply on the topic. We each have 24 hours a day. How will we manage it?

This quote is from Len Bosack, one of the co-founders of Cisco. I like it more for its fanaticism than practicality. The source link is not the original source of the quotation and you'll have to forgive me as I had a hell of a time just finding it in that pdf file:

Bosack: “Sincerity begins at a little over 100 hours a week. You can probably get to 110 on a sustained basis, but it’s hard – you have to get down to eating once a day, showering every other day, and things of that sort to really get your life organized to work 110 hours a week.”

Interviewer: “And the level that follows sincerity? What do we call that?”

Bosack: “Commitment.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

100 hours a week! Um, good thing 'thinking time' counts for writers.

And I'm going to crit your new story up at FM. I read through the first couple of para's, then came over here, and now I must go feed the children...

But I'll get to it. Not too many mainstream stories come through there. I also checked out your post about writing contests...there are plenty that don't have a fee, so no fear of being ripped off of more than postage. I found four through Duotrope yesterday, all with online subs.

Word veri: qeckbcm
Which I interpret as "Quek Beckum", which sound like a SF character. Too bad I don't write it. Although he could be the bastard son of potheads...

May 1, 2006 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks for stopping by. And for the critique. And for mentioning Duotrope. I think I owe you more than a lengthy crit now!

I had stumbled across Tangent Online which had a limited list of publications. Duotrope is much more thorough.

"bastard son of potheads" - wonderful.

May 3, 2006 at 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home