Saturday, December 15, 2007

Follow The Leader


Getting in the conga-meme line behind fellow writer Steve Buchheit to post my weekday schedule. Why? I'm still working on that one.

6:00am ~ Alarm clock goes off in the form of a cat walking on my head. Attempts to reprogram this alarm clock over the years have failed.

6 - 7:30am ~ Drink coffee, check e-mail, pay obeisance to the To-Do list, and generally try to get into a positive frame of mind to greet the day.

7:30 - 9:30am ~ Clock in on JOB #1, stay-at-home parent. Get the other household members up and moving and ready for their respective days. Pack their lunches and send them off into that cold, cold world. Really, it's 21 degrees outside as I write this.

9:30 - 12ish ~ JOB #2, writer, gets a chance. Writing, editing, blogging, event planning, researching, and more writing.

12ish - 3:00pm ~ Things get tricky as demands pile up. Various household chores for JOB #1 come into play. JOB #3, web consultant, is starting to require more time. I try to keep focused on JOB #2 but discipline wavers at this point.

3:00 - 8:00pm ~ JOB #1 all the way, some tasks varying depending on the day (groceries, library, bill paying, etc.) with dinner prep taking an hour plus (what can I say, I work slow).

8:00pm - 1:00am ~ Spend three nights a week at JOB #4, arranging foodstuffs on shelves so that customers can mess it all up the following day (I try to have a Zen mindset, doing the work well for the sake of doing it well, otherwise I feel like Sisyphus). The other four nights JOB #3 gets some attention, but I also try to relax, spend time with family, catch up with the internet.

That is, for the most part, the weekday schedule. Weekends, all bets are off. Writing time is pretty limited. Other To-Do lists come into play.

Again, why post this? Part of it is rationalization, as if to say "Hey, I'm damn busy here!"

It does help me to analyze how I spend my time. I'm very, very, very fortunate to have that 9:30 - 3:00 block. With a bit more discipline, JOB #2 could get more attention. Publishing this publicly will keep me aware of how lucky I am and maybe keep me more focused.

The trick is making JOB #2 a better paying gig.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Sounds busy enough there, Todd. Fortunately the cat just bothers my wife (except when I'm trying to sleep in on the weekends (this morning the cat alarm went off at 7am to refill the water dish, put out wet food, and give a vigorous butt rubbing). Fortunately that cat let me go back to sleep for a bit.

BTW, I loved American Gods. It's one of those novels that put me in the middle about Neil Gaiman. I either want to be fanboy, or I want to give him a good punch in the arm for being so damn good.

December 15, 2007 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Sounds busy enough there, Todd. Fortunately the cat just bothers my wife (except when I'm trying to sleep in on the weekends (this morning the cat alarm went off at 7am to refill the water dish, put out wet food, and give a vigorous butt rubbing). Fortunately that cat let me go back to sleep for a bit.

BTW, I loved American Gods. It's one of those novels that put me in the middle about Neil Gaiman. I either want to be fanboy, or I want to give him a good punch in the arm for being so damn good.

December 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

I either want to be fanboy, or I want to give him a good punch in the arm for being so damn good.

Yes, indeed. Any Xmas gift cards this year for big box bookstores will be used to buy Fragile Things.

December 15, 2007 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Oh yes, I highly recommend Fragile Things. On my Xmas List is M is for Magic.

December 17, 2007 at 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home