Friday, January 04, 2008

Everybody Wants To Be A Cat

Last Book Read: Mort by Terry Pratchett

To continue on the question, 'what is the point', this is it for me:
To earn a living as a fiction writer.

Yes, that is the dream, to be the Top Cat. Many writers, with many books in print, never achieve that. To get there, I need to make significant progress each year.

This year cannot be just more of the same as 2007, more stories published for token fees or no pay. For example, having a professionally published story would be significant progress, or earning more than I spend on this career, or getting an agent interested in a novel. Without significant progress, this remains a hobby.

No one wants to be a dilettante.

Goals for January:

~ Finish first draft of Garbageland.

~ Register for three conventions: Boskone, Readercon, and Capclave.

Yeah, everybody wants to be a cat, because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Hmm, I thought it was "I wanna be a man, Man-Cub, and walk right down the street,,,:

Good luck to both of us with those goals. I've experienced my first setback already. May your path be clearer.

"Oh, I'm the king of the swingers, oh, the Jungle VIP..."

January 4, 2008 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger L.A. Mitchell said...

Todd,

I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting for Top Cat, and not just keeping it in the realm of "dreams". There are so many things we can't control as writers, but the reality is there are many things we can. Three conventions may be just the thing to get you there. I wish you much luck on your 2008 road and I'm adding you to my blogroll so I can keep up with your progress :)

Oh, and the book trailer I'm attempting is using very basic Windows Movie Maker. It's surprisingly easy and fun, but a major time-suck away from page count.

Take care!

January 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Setbacks, feh. Just means we don't get a head start. We'll pace each other with sprints, Steve. We can do it!

I love January.

January 5, 2008 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Ah, Windows Movie Maker. I remember the fun, the first five minutes. And then the horror of Microsoft settled in.

May it remain fun for you, Ms. Mitchell.

January 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Uhm...topic departure.

Karen Romanko's been nominated for best book/e-book editor of 2007 in the Preditors & Editors poll.

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/

Voting's open 'til Jan 15. Free and easy (the voting, that is).

January 9, 2008 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Cool. And Sporty Spec is a candidate for best anthology. Everyone vote early, vote often!

January 10, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

...or as Space & Time magazine says: "Just kidding! You don't have to vote early."

January 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home