Monday, August 28, 2006

In Ex Cess ...

It is helpful, at times, to push at the envelope, live on the edge, and [insert cliche here]. It is helpful to go to extremes. For example, writing a 50,000 word novel in a month is extreme. Trying to write 30,000 words in a week, is excessive.

But sometimes you just got to say, what the hell. It helps if your misery has company, as I will with fellow writer and daredevil Cheryl Mills.

I got to thinking about excess. 'Ex' is derived from 'eghs', meaning 'out of' or 'away from'. Out of one's mind maybe? Or out of one's comfort zone? Away from sanity? Or away from stale, plodding routines? I'll the the latter of the two.

I should have stopped there, as I then learned that 'cess' is the Irish word for luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

You made me go searching for something to counter with...I got nuthin'.

Except these antonyms for EXCESS:
dearth, deficiency, insufficiency, lack, shortage

August 28, 2006 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Those work.

Dearth of sleep, deficiency of brain cells, insufficiency of logical thinking, etc.

August 29, 2006 at 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home