Friday, February 08, 2008

Quittin' Time


Before I get into that subject line ...

Contest!

No, not mine. This one is courtesy of Edward Willett, SF writer, Non-F writer, and prodigious blogger. He's giving away copies of his new book, Marseguro, the first two chapters of which are on his website. Sign up by making a comment with your e-mail address on his blog post, or just send him a message.

And if you haven't entered my contest, what are you waiting for?

Now then, about quitting. Last December I covered the four jobs I had, two of which paid actual money. Life was getting out of balance, Koyaanisqatsi*. Something had to give. So, last month I gave notice to the night job.

I know. You're not supposed to give up paying work in order to write more, especially if writing isn't paying much, or anything. I'm fortunate the financial risk wasn't great. I wasn't supporting the household by stocking shelves. The job was disruptive and the rationale in leaving it was to better focus on writing.

I had this big post in mind about what I was willing or not willing to sacrifice in order to write. Blah, blah, blah. If you're reading this, and a writer, you've heard all that before. You know the point. This gig takes time. We need to make choices in order to make progress.

Enough said.



*The film by that name is wonderful, and ironically very peaceful. I have fallen asleep watching it at least a half-dozen times.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

I can't fall asleep to that movie. My WTF-response is way too strong.

Congrats on a decision you seem happy with.

February 8, 2008 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Nathan. Nice avatar choice on your blog.

February 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Braver man than I, Todd Wheeler.

Good luck with devoting more time to writing. The rest of us schlubs are so jealous.

February 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Ken McConnell said...

I won Ed's contest, now I expect to win yours too. Well, not really, but wouldn't that be a hoot?

February 13, 2008 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thank you, Steve.

Good luck, Ken! You've got the Buchheit social network advantage!

February 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home