Monday, December 18, 2006

Who's Naughty and Nice ...

David S. Brody is the author of a thriller series set around Boston. His latest book, The Wrong Abraham has a fast, interesting start (all I've read so far.)

So, who is this guy? He happened to be signing his new book at the Borders where I meet with my writing group. I also happened to see in a press blurb about the signing that he lives in the same town as I do. I decided to stick around after the writing group and just say hello and pick up his book.

I had no expectations. The store was pretty busy and he was stationed near the door. And I was a little nervous. Really no reason for it; wasn't like I was going to ask him for a job or anything. I walked up, stuck out my hand, introduced myself ... and said I was a writer as well who lived in his town.

Part of me is still a little shocked. I told the truth, but it was very strange. It was the first time I had introduced myself as a writer. Not "I'm a stay-at-home dad AND a writer", nor "I work nights AND I'm a writer." Nope. Straight up, this is my job. It doesn't pay well, but...

The conversation was brief. A few people who knew him came up behind me after a minute so I said nice to meet you, gotta go, etc. I did ask one writerly question, which was how many books he had written before his first was published (he's got three in print now.) His answer was this: the first book he wrote was the first to be published, and he acknowledged he was very, very lucky. After reading the beginning of "The Wrong Abraham", I have a feeling he also followed the first step of many successful writers:

Write a damn good book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Congrats on saying it out loud.

December 18, 2006 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks!

December 19, 2006 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Tobias Buckell did a survey that mirrors your question.
http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2006/12/19/survey-how-many-novels-did-you-write-before-selling-one

32% of the people who responded said they sold their first novel. So there's hope for me!

December 26, 2006 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Steve,

Thanks for the comment. I did see that survey which put that question at the top of my list for Brody. I didn't know the results though and I agree. 32% is very encouraging.

December 26, 2006 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home