Friday, January 05, 2007

Maybe Amazed ...

Just a quick post. I admire Tobias Buckell's fiction. His new year writing goal, however, is astonishing.

It is agressive: 6,000 words a week for several months. As an incentive, if he doesn't make his goal, he'll make a donation to charity. How much? Five cents a word up to the 6k. So if he only writes 5,900 words, that's $5. Misses by 1k? Well that's $50. And so on.

What charity? His blog readers get to suggest and vote on where to send the money.

Words fail me. I think it is very creative, very out of the box, very giving, very participatory for those reading and commenting in his blog.

Amazing, I think. Maybe I'll be just like him when I grow up. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Tobias is a better man than I. Younger and better look, too. For me, I'd just cut the check at the begining and be doen with it.

January 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Aye. I'm hoping he'll make it to Boskone as his website indicates.

January 5, 2007 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

I loved Mr. Buckell's Author/Critic response FAQ on Rice-Hamilton disorder. (of 1/4/07)

Todd--Lesia V. tells me she did her LBB homework on "Paper or Plastic?".

--Camille

January 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Camille,

Yes, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that little story. Thanks again for posting the link.

-Todd

January 7, 2007 at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home