Friday, March 30, 2007

Genre Confusion ...

Currently Reading: The Screwtape Letters
Got a call from someone to verify my college alumni information for the latest directory (oh, and did I want to reserve my copy now?) As the gentleman went through my info, he noticed the occupation I had listed (through an online update, but they need to call and send postcards to verify in case I wanted to reserve my copy now).

Gentleman: "Oh, you're a writer?"

Me: "Yes."

Gentleman: "Talked to quite a few writers tonight. The directory would be a good way to keep in touch with them."

Me: "I don't want to buy a directory, thank you."

Gentleman: "Sure. Say, what kinds of things do you write?"

Me: (pause) "Well, it's mostly science fiction."

Gentleman: "Oh, like Stephen King?"

Me: ...

Me: ...

Me: (sigh) "Uh, no, (sigh) more like Star Wars."

Gentleman: "Oh, okay."


Have any examples where you had to explain your genre?

7 Comments:

Blogger Camille Alexa said...

SNERK!

That's too rich. Thanks for the story.

March 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

He was southern gentleman. Alabama, I think. He didn't say, but the accent was telling: "mmmkay?"

March 31, 2007 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like that. My most embarassing q&a came from Peter Miller (the agent).

PMA: So, what do you write?

Me: I don't know.

March 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Cheryl,

That's a good one, too.

March 31, 2007 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Cheryl, I hope he at least gave you points for being honest!

April 1, 2007 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Just the usual answers to the basic question of "Why would you waste your time and write such stuff when you could be doing literature."

Um, 'cause I like it better?

April 3, 2007 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Ah yes. Genre, of course is mere entertainment. It doesn't enlighten, challenge, or otherwise benefit humanity.

April 3, 2007 at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home