Friday, October 19, 2007

Those In Big Houses ...

It would be interesting to know how publishers came to use the term 'House'. It is hard to refer to the companies below as houses. Or even McMansions. Much better would be Industrial Entertainment Distribution Centers.

I've been doing some research. According to the February, 2007 issue of Locus Magazine, the six uber-corps below published 60% of all SF/F/H in the United States in 2006. This surprised me. I thought it would be a higher percentage by fewer multinationals.

The list below is not comprehensive. It does focus on adult trade science fiction publishers. Links, names, and ownerships are subject to immediate change (half of what I read in the 2008 Writer's Market was already obsolete). The corporate trees may reflect distributors, subsidiaries, imprints, or brands. So, take it all with a grain of salt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Strange, given Bertelsmann's control of the music business, I expected more out of them in book publishing.

October 19, 2007 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

The Science Fiction Book Club is in the Bertelsmann compound as well. Added together, the companies under Bertelsmann published the highest number of titles in 2006.

I didn't include it as SFBC doesn't seem to publish their own authors. Could be wrong there.

October 19, 2007 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Research looking good, Todd. Hope it pays off.

October 22, 2007 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Camille. It has in several ways.

While flipping through the Locus magazines, archived at a not too distant library, I felt much more at ease than I had 7 months ago when I had done the same. Now the different names, faces, brands, terms, and lingo are familiar. It's as if classes in a foreign language are paying off.

Or more appropriately, it's like being in a new job for six months. The culture which seemed strange and exotic during those interviews is now familiar. Co-workers who seemed to go off and have a much better time at lunch without me, now invite me along and I decline because I'd rather lunch with the other group than those twits.

Or something like that.

October 23, 2007 at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home