Monday, April 09, 2007

Endeavor to Persevere ...

Currently Reading: Take Joy by Jane Yolen

The e-zine Nanobison has accepted one of my stories for publication later this year. The story is called "The Unwritten Future of Princess Melodious Squeak" (the text is slightly longer than the title). It is a great relief.

I had almost given up on it.

The story had been rejected a few times (okay, quite a few). Despite adversity, I kept sending it out. The story is humorous and plays on a well worn SF trope. I think it has a subtle depth and complexity, but then I wrote it. Of course I think it's great. The trick is finding an editor who also thinks so.

The right editor, at the right publication, at the right time, when that editor has a short-term need for your story. Thanks Doug Helbling!

Now I have just one story out for submission. Better than none. My productivity seems to limit how many I have out in the world. Some writer blogs that I've seen have listed a numerical goal: 5, 10, or more out for submission.

For those that write short stories, how many do you have out for submission? Do you have a goal for more? Or does it not matter?

9 Comments:

Blogger astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations! What a great title.

April 10, 2007 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Congrats, Todd. Woohoo! You go, Dude.

April 10, 2007 at 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

April 10, 2007 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Yay, Todd Wheeler, Esq. Congrats of the acceptance, but also the perseverance.

I like to submit at least one new thing per week (I'm not really on top of resubmitting). Sometimes it's a short story, but I don't mind if it's an article, a review, a flash piece, a poem, even a query. My main goal is to keep it flowing.

I'm cutting myself some slack right now, though.

Oh, and I'm with Southern W; GREAT title.

April 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks all! I appreciate it.

Yes, you would think the title would be enough to sell it.

LBB: Once a week! My goodness. You get the award for most productive.

April 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

I used to keep six out at all times, but right now I only have two out. Good news, I've got another ready to go, and one ready to be entered into a contest through the Atlanta Writers Club.

April 13, 2007 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Cheryl!

At times it does feel like a numbers game. Have to have a lot of stories out there in order for something to get accepted.

April 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the sale!

And, I have generally 10-13 submissions out at once, but that also includes reprints. I aim for 13 because that number tastes magically delicious. And I always seem to sell something when I exceed having 10 subs out at once, so why fight what works, no matter how ridiculous?

April 18, 2007 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Merrie!

As for your 13, I'll quote from my favorite baseball movie:

"Never [mess] with a winning streak."

I think the golden rule for writers is do what helps you succeed.

April 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home