Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Day 26

Music: Tom Waits, nighthawks at the diner
Words: 3,676

Once I hit that magical 50k number, I felt relief. It was a goal, and achieved, I sat in my little go-cart at the bottom of a steep hill, thrilled with the ride, taking a breather.

And thoughts started coming. Typical evil, little thoughts with nasty, slippery words like 'Ought to' and 'Should be' and 'Had better'. Lists of things to do started accumulating, things left undone, chores neglected, e-mail messages unreturned. I started getting anxious because yes, all those things needed doing, needed attention. Writing? Well, I met a goal, right? There is always tomorrow. Next week will be much less busy.

Then last night, thinking on all this, I gave myself a virtual slap in the face.

I didn't plan this book for months to be sitting here thinking about tomorrow. I didn't bust my butt all month to sit here contemplating next week. Next week is December. This week is November. I planned on writing in November and the month isn't done yet.

Neither am I.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Don't listen to them. Those are the gremlins. Down vile creatures, be gone!

Keep going, Todd. Honor the deal with yourself.

And, yes, it's a whole lot easer to say that than to do it ourselves. :)

November 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

:-)

Though, I thought the gremlins were something else.

November 27, 2007 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Timothy P. Remp said...

Don't give up Todd. That's the easy way out.

November 27, 2007 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Tim. That's right.

"If it were easy, then everyone would do it."

November 27, 2007 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home