Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Day 6

Coping Strategy #1: Rewards
Words: 2,658

If I'm going to kick myself when I'm down (for inspiration, of course) then I figure I should reward myself when I'm up.

Put another way, writing presents daily, if not hourly, opportunity costs. I could be doing this or I could be writing. I could be doing that or I could be writing.

It's important every so often to say 'You know what? Today was a good day and I will let myself go check out what the Spice Girls are doing.'

Not that I would do that. No, I would do something with a much higher geekiness factor.

On the NaNoWriMo forums, someone posted a link to Hero Machine 2.5, an online application that creates cartoon-like pictures of superheros. Or anyone you want. For example, a character in a book.

The website has other hero machines (a random selection on guitar hero can be amusing). The 2.5 version has many more options than the others. Admittedly, the body types aren't realistic. And for all the work someone put into this, you would think it would be easier to match a pair of shoes. But it's free, and cool, and fun.

Here is the main character in my novel, Esteban (a.k.a Steve):

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Nice shoes. Are those spats?

Good job. I find myself getting distracted everytime I finish a paragraph. But that could also be how I work normally.

I also find myself thinking, "I could be writing right at this moment" when I'm doing something else, like scrubbing the bathrooms. Sometimes you have to do those things that would be bothering you first to open the mind space to write.

Keep going, Todd. Sounds like you're running at a good pace.

November 7, 2007 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger rawlus said...

tre cool.

November 7, 2007 at 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself distracted by a man who would scrub bathrooms...

November 7, 2007 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Muy bueno.

November 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Not spats. I was going for wing tips, had to settle for Doc Martens. Careful with the link. That may be the first flash based website I've ever liked.

Oh, ahem, um, second to Rockport, of course. Oh, Hi Russell. Hey, thanks!

[Hides the plunger]

Muchos gracias, senorita.

November 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home