Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Muse Sing ...

Some weeks ago, I read the guidelines for the Sporty Spec Anthology (I believe Ms. LBB pointed the way over there). The idea of games/sports themed stories seemed very cool.

I filed it away under a mental pile of National Geographic magazines, and there is where it sat. Resting, fermenting, stewing, aging: however you want to put it. I wasn't conciously thinking about it.

One evening I read Steve B.'s post about his muse and it occurred to me to check the anthology again. The book was filling up with submissions. If I wanted to participate I had to get cracking on a story. I went to bed, turned off the light, and started thinking.

An idea bubbled up. Turned the light back on and scribbled on paper. That idea more than bubbled, it gushed. Two hours later I had about 675 words (I was writing slow - okay, I was writing slow so that I could actually read my handwriting the next day). A few tweaks with some much appreciated critique from a friend on very short notice (thanks again!) and it was done.

That was a record pace. I'm still rather amazed it worked out so well. Was that whole story really just simmering under the covers? If I had tried to write it the next day would it have come out the same or as good? However it worked, I'm just grateful that it did, and for those that helped it along the way.

6 Comments:

Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Funny how sometimes the quickie stuff seems the most inspired, isn't it?

June 23, 2007 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Yes. Now if I could only write a a quickie 100k word novel. ;-)

June 23, 2007 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

It could happen...

June 24, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

You and me both, Todd. From your mouth to the Muse's ear.

Yep, it's always better to write down those ideas, there's usually another one right behind it.

June 25, 2007 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

WOOO HOOO TODD WHEELER!!!

I just saw on Karen Romanko's LJ that "Less than Perfect" is a go for Sporty Spec!!

Congratulations, my man. See you there!

June 27, 2007 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

And a big WOOO HOOOO Camille! Karen Romanko has very good taste. Glad she chose your story as well.

July 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home