Monday, May 14, 2007

This Ain't No Party ...

This blog has a stat counter, provided free by StatCounter.com (and how glad they must be to have snagged that domain name). There is a little button in the lower right to disclose this tracking activity.

I'd like to say it's just for the statistics. It shows if someone came to my blog from a link on another site, or if the blog came up in a Google search (which is always cool). Also neat to see the flags of different countries show up. And when I get a new monitor, I'll figure out how to make the blog and website look better to all of you with more than fifteen inches of video screen real estate.

Truth be told, there's another reason for the stats. I want to see if anyone is reading this. Yes, I admit it. Does anyone care what words are here, or are they so many flowers bloomed unseen? Do you all still like me? Hello!?! ;-)

Checking the stats is addictive. It doesn't take up a lot of time, but neither do many of the things I'm stepping back from this month. The problem is the accumulated time-suck of those many moments.

#3 - Stop checking the stat counter.

No mas. Not once more this month. And if I do, I'll take code out of the blog template.

Progress report: Doing fine so far on the previous items. It's the anxiety of missing something that is driving me crazy. :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

This ain't no disco? Then what's with the flashing lights and pounding music?

I did a stats counter for my blog, but it doesn't track RSS feeds. Does StatCounter?

Anyway, congrats on keeping to your time relief plan. Yes, you are missing something. The real question should be, "is what I'm missing worth more than what I'm gaining?"

May 14, 2007 at 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does the counter see people who read you on, say, Bloglines? :)

May 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

I have to claim ignorance of feeds, dear friends. One of those things I keep thinking I'll get around to and never do.

I assume any blog can be fed (feeded? feedered? RSS'd?) just by it being a blog. That is, without me figuring out how to add all those funky little buttons (Atom et al). True? False? Go do your own research, Wheeler? :-)

At any rate, I'd guess the stat counter would not show those hits. It probably buries any data from spidering feeders.

May 14, 2007 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Stat counters sound like one more thing I don't want to start getting into, for the old obsessive/compulsive time-suck reasons you mention.

May 16, 2007 at 1:16 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

It's a tool best used sparingly, and with a certain amount of suspicion. Not sure if the accuracy of the stats (e.g. what OS running, what browser) is better now than years ago.

May 16, 2007 at 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can't read just ANY blog through RSS--there has to be a feed file, in essence--but that's automagically done these days in Blogger. I read you in Bloglines, and BL tells me that there are 2 subscribers to your journal there. But there are many other services and ways to read feeds.

'Nany case, I suspect you have more readers than your stats counter suggested, since I also suspect that an RSS reader isn't touching your main page. I don't know that for sure, since I'm more a semi-ignorant user of this handy technology than anything else. So. You're saving time by not worrying about inaccurate info!

May 16, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks Merrie! Automagically is great. One less thing to worry about.

May 17, 2007 at 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home