Friday, May 11, 2007

Resist Temptation ...


If it's of interest, the last part of the Douglas Adams interview is up (and of course the last one has the best stuff) at Darker Matter. Some of the other stories are worth a read (the one by Bud Sparhawk and Ramona Wheeler (no relation) is particularly appropriate for this post).

So, to continue on the quest of regaining time, the next thing to be given up is:

#2 - Check e-mail once a day.

Not twice, not three times, and certainly not five. Once and no more.

What shall the punishment be for violating this? Perhaps cleaning out my inbox, but I have a feeling I'll need another slap on the wrist for this item. Suggestions?

And how about my first objective? I did well and gained some evening time to catch up on my research reading. I must admit a slight transgression. Driving to work tonight, I did check the Red Sox game on the radio. I realize I can't read or write while driving but I could be thinking about writing. Fair is fair. And so...

The coach of the NY Yankees, Joe Torre, is a very good manager.

6 Comments:

Blogger Camille Alexa said...

I love that the Douglas Adams interviewer Ian Shircore's bio includes "the somewhat premature Mastering the Internet (1998)."

May 11, 2007 at 5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the ways I use my commute to think about writing is with a voice recorder. That way, when I do have that occasional brilliant thought about a story, I can capture it--but it's also been making a huge difference in some of my plotting strategies. Instead of writing three or four alternative scenes where I'm stuck, I can just talk about them, and usually come to a good conclusion faster.

Just a thought... :)

May 11, 2007 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

LBB: Heh, I missed that. Sort of like the Whole Internet Catalog.

Merrie: Good thoughts. Talking through something out loud would be interesting. And given cell phone usage these days, wouldn't even look strange.

May 11, 2007 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

And for the record, I cleaned out my e-mail in-box this evening.

Hello. My name is Todd. And I'm an e-mail junkie.

May 11, 2007 at 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice ... "a good manager" How about a Hall of Fame manager who is so loved in NYC that George Steinbrenner was AFRAID to fire him?

Now, stop talking about the team, you're jinxing them. (Owww, I think I just pulled my hamstring)

May 15, 2007 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Me? Jinxing them? What a wonderful concept.

May 16, 2007 at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home