Friday, June 01, 2007

I Ain't Got Time For That Now ...

Currently Reading: Bone Dance by Emma Bull

#8 - Hiatus from critiquing

At Critters Writers' Workshop one has to pay to play. Before my own story could be commented on, I had to comment on others. Good experience in itself. At this point I have a lot of credits and can coast for a bit (though I do owe a few people for whom I will reciprocate their critques).

This concludes our month of time saving measures. It always comes back to time, for me. Making the best use of it. Finding more of it. Managing it better.

Some of my efforts were easier than others (I still have no desire to check those statistics). I did break down and get some more library books even though there's one more old one I have to read. But, I have a plan to make up for that (more later).

I feel like I've gotten into some good habits (as opposed to bad ones) and will continue to do my best on most of them. Most.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go watch the Red Sox deliver a big can of whupass to the pinstripes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Camille Alexa said...

I had a good time reading the Critter articles about critiquing diplomacy. Lots of people could stand to read a couple of those.

June 2, 2007 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Yep, a lot can be said for keeping it professional in critiquing, also to keep focused on the work, and that the critique is the critiquer's opinion only.

And the workshop is a way to get experienced on what doesn't work and why (it's always easier to see in someone elses work than your own).

Good luck on keeping on the light side of the force with those habits, Todd.

For me, living in a small village, I have an issue with neighbors seeing me have some time, and then they want my help with something. "Oh, look, Steve came home early. Let's call and see if he can help with this." And I'm a guy who can't say "no." (although I'm working on it).

June 2, 2007 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

LBB: And not just for critiques.

Steve: Yes, yes, and yes, except for the neighbors. We have some, hmmm, 'eclectic' folks on our street.

June 2, 2007 at 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice can of whupass ... Don't you wish you'd have waited to post until after the Sox won a game? Oh, too bad they lost another series. Can they hear the footsteps yet?

Good work in fostering constructive habits. One thing I've learned is to make important small changes consistently. For instance, if you want your life to be 50% better at the end of a year, improve it 1% a week. Of course, I'm bad a math, so I'm not sure it works that way. I do know that little by little my own writing has gotten better, more professional and more polished.

Also, personally, I can not do without writer community. I'm fortunate to belong to two groups that take writing, reading and critiquing seriously. I owe a tremendous debt to those who've slogged through my crud over the last four years, and I celebrate with those whose own achievement I've made a modest contribution to.

June 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Rick: Seems like a different tune now that they are only single digits out of first place. We shall see.

I agree on community. We all need each other to lean on.

June 11, 2007 at 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home