Sunday, May 06, 2007

Play That Funky Music ...

April was funky, and I'm not talking Bootsy Collins. I got very little writing done. In ... A ... Funk.

There are, as always, reasons and excuses: soccer practice and games for my daughter, a list of yard and household projects as long as my arm, the boys of summer. Not enough hours in the day to do everything.

Change is needed.

My first inclination is to go extreme, setting unrealistic goals, word counts, or sleep-depriving number of hours to work. These tend to fail because the bar is set too high from the word go, and there is no penalty for failure besides my own guilt.

Here's a different idea to help get back on track. For the rest of May I will give up eight things that take time away from writing. Instead of all or nothing, the items will be declared twice a week. Time, focus, and commitment will accrue gradually as each sacrifice becomes a habit.

The carrot is achieving my writing goals. And the stick? Let the punishment fit the crime. I may need suggestions on some items if I backslide.

#1 - For the rest of May, I will not watch, listen to, or check the progress online of any Red Sox games.

For those that know me, this is a really big deal. And the stick? For each transgression, I will say something nice about, ahem, that other team. Again, this may seem frivolous, but that is some serious motivation.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying something nice about that other team would be a huge deterrant for me, too.... :)

May 6, 2007 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Yep, April was a loss. Don't put too may hurdles to cross in your way. Starting back up myself I can feel the gears grinding. Time to do the Tin Man routine ("Oil Can! Oil Can!").

Keep going Todd. Yeah, eliminating things that take time away from writing is good. Although having kids and a family can certainly soak up a lot of time. For me, I just have to start saying "no" to requests for my time.

Good luck, dude. Keep plugging away.

May 7, 2007 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Yay Merrie! What team do you root for?

I must admit, NY just improved their rotation this weekend.

Steve, thanks.
Mostly it's the homeowner thing. Warmer weather, no excuses to not get going on all those projects.

May 7, 2007 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

I must admit, NY just improved their rotation this weekend.

Wait a sec--was that a nice thing you had to say?

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about sports)

May 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Hmmm, why yes it was a nice thing to say. Thanks for pointing that out, LBB. Perhaps I've earned a mulligan?

I'll have to leave that up to Rick O. if it's nice enough. He still contends the 2004 World Series win by the Red Sox was due to demonic influences.

May 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather you not say anything nice until we've brought this year's hardware home.

I admire your writing ethic. I've found that the simplist way to write is a little at a time. My daily goal is 20 mins, but I do try to block out an hour every weekday morning. I don't always get even this modest amount done, but little by little what I write adds up to something.

Good luck ... and don't touch that dial!

May 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Hell, Rick. I admire your persistence.

Yep, little by little. As long as I can keep the schedule. Once I get off track, I need desperate measures. Or maybe I just want variety to keep things fun. Blogging = poor man's therapy!

As for that hardware, you better get on down to Home Depot. I don't think Roger is going to save this season.

May 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home