Friday, March 14, 2008

New Story

Last Book Read: Mongo by Ted Botha

At the online fiction magazine On The Premises you can read my short story "Nice Shade of Blue".

The story had an interesting journey to publication. It is mainstream fiction, not a speculative note in it. I wrote it almost two years ago and sent it off to a few literary magazines that took forever and a day to reject it.

I put the story aside, thinking it was done, wanting to focus on other things. On The Premises (OTP) has contests three times a year, each with a theme. The most recent theme fit my story so well, I figured what the heck, send it in.

The point I guess is never give up. Just a matter of finding the right editor at the right publication at the right time.

A little more information about OTP. They print all genres. The contests have very, very nice cash prizes. And the folks there are great to work with.

When I submitted my story I was a little wary. As I said, the cash prizes are great, up to $140 for first place. The website has no advertising. The stories are free, no subscription required. There are no fees for contest entries. Made me wonder where the money was coming from.

So I asked. The publisher and co-editor, Tarl Roger Kudrick, said it was a labor of love at the moment. The funding model might change in the future, but for now they're just trying to gain an audience as well as experience in publishing and editing.

I hope I'm not telling tales out of school by relating that. There are a lot of sketchy webzines out there. My intent is only to give props to a fiction site that deserves the credit and publicity.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I remember that story! Congrats on finding a home for it!

March 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

!!! I forgot I posted it on FMWriters for critique. Seems so long ago now.

Thanks Cheryl!

March 14, 2008 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Steve Buchheit said...

Woohoo! Sale! Congrats, Todd.

March 14, 2008 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Congrats on the win. I read its a good one.

March 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks guys!

March 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger L.A. Mitchell said...

Todd,
I had to split reading it before and after leaving town, but I finally finished it. Your voice really captured a young male's thoughts and attitude. It really brought him to life. I love the subtext between him and the woman when he returns to his house the second time. Thanks for sharing it. Congrats on placing it :)

March 21, 2008 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Todd Wheeler said...

L.A., thanks for reading it. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

March 21, 2008 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Camille Alexa said...

Wow. I fall off the blogplanet and it just keeps rotating without me.

Congrats, Todd! Nice sale (I'm going to call it a sale, even if OTP runs as a contest).

April 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home